A skin tones challenge

We love a challenge! If you have an image that you think can be better, post it here and see what the rest of us can do with it.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:59 am

second move:
there is to many mangenta in the picture!
so i placed a mark in the face and slowed down the mangenta and leave the blue shade.
Then de coths of the child looks good to me. ( not the hat)

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:07 am

third move:

I did it the first time different but now  I placed 4 neutrals in RGB mode on the hat.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:17 am

4-e move:

I think it goes now ( whe nI do this the secnd time) not so well , as before.
But it s the idea behind it , to demonstrate.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:35 am

to get the face right in color.
I locked the a and B in lab and do pin 1.
After that I release some points on the a and b in lab-mode.
Mostly is that effective, without changing the rest of the picture.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:38 am

after that i do again a snapshot and a history brush.
this time it is not so good succeeded.

But the only goal is to demonstrate how I do difficult pictures.

I am not satisficied with the results, but someone can going on to do the rest.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:51 am

after that what cosmetics in noise ninja and manipulating contrast and highligts is this the result.

It could much beter , I think!

Wo is next to give another methode and solutions.

frits

p.s. I have a lot of scanned dia-positives with such problems.
I like to have a relativ quick solution.
I can't spent so much time on each picture.

Frits (z)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:44 pm

I have to say my image was not that green on the monitor at home...now looking at it on this monitor I agree it is green...Damn...

Re-shoot....

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:02 pm

I have to say my image was not that green on the monitor at home...now looking at it on this monitor I agree it is green...Damn...

Re-shoot....

And my monitor is calibrated a couple of days ago wit Spyderpro2.

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:43 pm

Here's my effort, after seeing what others have done. Chris was right about the cast - it came from a green sunshade, not a camera problem.

This took 3 passes. The first was the straightforward shadow, highlight and neutral routine. Next I focused on the stripes of the shirt. I made a selection of the shirt and used Lab mode on this area to knock out the green. Looking good - just the yellow face to correct!

Boy, that was hard. It was quite easy to get 90% of the way to a good result, but as Frits found, getting it absolutely right was really difficult. I went round and round much like Frits had done. Eventually I found a method of getting a good result. I made a rough selection of the face area, then used Select->Color Range->Yellows to select the yellow in the face. I then used a levels command on the selection channel to boost the selection a bit, then used that as a mask over a layer of the whole face such that just the yellow-most pixels where available. I ran CM on this layer and flattened the yellow/green curve to desaturate those pixels. That seemed to do the trick - a combination of a selection based on the yellow colour and lab mode in CM got rid of the yellow cast.

I went round that last bit a few times, getting the selection just right and tweaking the lightness and green/magenta curves a little. A Greg said, the face is a range of highlights and shadows, so I pushed the yellows round as far as I could without getting the darkmost areas of the face any further to the red than 12 o'clock.The result is below.

I think I could do a bit better by using two passes on the face - one concentrating on the darker/redder pixels, and the other on the lighter/yellower pixels. But not now - my entire Saturday afternoon has disappeared!

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:37 pm

It really is fun trying to improve images - kind of addictive isnt it?

I think you have done enough Derek - really excellent, but there is little bit I dont like!! The towel goes greenish and I'm not wild about the top edge of the sunhat - but stop, dont take my remarks as serious - leave it be!

I think you have given us all hours of enjoyment - thank you.

Return to “Want us to work on one of your images?”