Threshold or Shadow/Highlight

This board is for the July 2008 Curvemeister 101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:19 am

I might be missing something Greg,

I nearly always use the Shadow/Highlight setting as a way of correcting the image.
I realise that this also sets colour in rgb, but not in lab.

Looking at the Gorge solution - lab solution - it is recommended to use the Threshold method because there is no neutral balck/white points.  Why?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:01 pm

hmmm not the way I saw it..from the video Mike starts with the neutral and then thresholds...

You may have missed it...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:32 am

Ah, I havent made myself clear (as usual).

I was interested in the difference between setting a shadow/highlight via pins or doing it by moving the side of the curve dialog.

Why use the latter in preference to the former in LAB?

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:54 am

I was interested in the difference between setting a shadow/highlight via pins or doing it by moving the side of the curve dialog.

Why use the latter in preference to the former in LAB?

You mean using the curve thresholding for shadow/highlight, as opposed to setting pins? Thresholding is easier - no need to seek out the lightest and darkest areas, just move the threshold until you see the pattern in the image. Quick and simple, I use it all the time.

The downside is that when you change colourspace, you lose this adjustment. Pins stay put and are automatically applied to all colourspaces.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:17 pm

;D    ;D

Ahh.....

Thanks Derek...

It also helps to find the darkest areas when you are not sure..less hunting around...
I will frequently combine the two..I'll use the threshold to find where to put the pins...

Return to “July 2008 Curvemeister 101”