Here are my ducks

This board is for the November 2008 CM101 class.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:47 am

Here are my ducks.  "Edited-2" was done in LAB.  "Edited-4" was done in RGB.  I think the LAB looks better.  Next to the LAB, the RGB looks a bit flat.  The tones look deeper and richer to me in LAB.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:15 am

Brian,
One of the problems with the wizard is sometimes you miss the highlight.  Try this....

Reopen your image without the wizard, right click on a highlight that is reasonably important to the image and choose "set highlight"  this will brighten up the image quite a bit. 

One of the effects that Lab has is the apparent loss of saturation when you adjust the L channel.  You can make up for it by using the saturation slider to increase the color saturation. 

The other process you can try out is called thresholding. You can set the highlight point and then "drag" the point around the image to make sure you have a good highlight selected. 

I'll post a link to a couple of articles for thresholding.

Play around a bit more and see if you can make the duck's day a bit brighter...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:32 am

OK Greg.  Thanks for the tip.  Although I wasn't entirely certain, it appeared that as I brightened the image more than what I sent in (at least with the sliders) I was losing some of the nice subtle texture on the belly of the duck but it wasn't easy to tell.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:10 pm

You might lose that detail in the beginning and that is ok for now...one of the techniques we cover later is increasing contrast with contrast pinning and bringing back the details in areas like this...

Glad you are keeping the goals for the image in mind.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:12 pm

Greg:

Re posting ....

Should we be posting everything we do, or just the results of those exercises in which you specifically request that we post the results.

I thought the latter, which is why you only got the ducks from last week.

Thanks,

Brian

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:11 am

Post anything you want comment or help on.  The class really thrives on comments...in past classes we have had over 1500 postings...we want to fill up the board if we can..that will mean that you got the most help possible...

Don't be shy...post a troubled image that you want help on from your own collection if you like..the more images and solutions you see the more the possibilities of the class open up.

Greg

Return to “November 2008, Curvemeister 101”