Dust off the Bike and go for a ride...<sorry bad joke...>

This board is for the June 2009 Curvemeister 101 class.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:37 am

Give this image a spin and see what you can do with it.

I know there is some color in there...

Greg
Attachments
oldbike-jpg-2
oldbike-jpg-2 (999 Bytes) Viewed 8601 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Love the disc brake.Started with blend mode,then color in Lab,then selected red slats and rear wall and removed some red using the red channel in RGB.GregM
Took bright patch down to 247 in RGB composite channel.
Attachments
oldbikesnap-jpg
oldbikesnap-jpg (265.41 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
oldbike-copy-jpg
oldbike-copy-jpg (247.27 KiB) Viewed 8601 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:07 pm

nice....

I like what you have done. 
Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:34 pm

well rather an uninspiring image - doesn't overly move me!
still I decided that the old bike was the main point of interest and so sacrificed other details.
a) cm in rgb to get the most contrast from each channel
b) cm in lab to boost colour and re-tone to pop the bike from the background - although I set shadow etc - it didn't seem to make much difference
c) 20% of mid-tone contrast
I'm surprised that it had to be saved at quality 3 to get under the 300meg size
Oh and cloned out the bright background hilights

Attachments
oldbike-jpg
oldbike-jpg (298.53 KiB) Viewed 8601 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Sorry for the lack of inspiration..this was part of a exploration of an old barn i made recently with my youngest son..
he thought it was quite interesting...

next image will have to be better I guess...but hey they all cannot be canyons and waterfalls...
Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:08 am

Here's my version Greg.  Given the comments about the image, I tried to overdo the colors a bit, making the red bike very red.  There was a splash of interesting color and rock texture on the back wall, so I tried to bring that out, which also inflamed the rust on the bike.  I sharpened a bit with focus magic, made a shadow/highlight adjustment in Photoshop.  Then into CM, I used one of the black tires as my neutral and brought up some contrast in the L Curve.  Applied and then back into Curvemeister to mask everything but the red bike frame (which also brought up the red door in the background). Applied and then back into CM to try to isolate the back wall with a mask.  Corrected the color back there to orange, brought up a little lightness with the L curve and tried to get a little more contrast to separate the stones.
Attachments
oldbike_edit_1_downsized-jpg
oldbike_edit_1_downsized-jpg (298.58 KiB) Viewed 8601 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:14 am

An excellent photographic rendition - I particularly like the toning and colour going out through the door and the contrast on the grass.  Also lovely detail on the main bike.
Chris

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:31 pm

I like the image overall...
the Red in the bike is to strong for me personally but I have the advantage of having been there.  It is a very good correction.

Nice work...
Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:40 pm

Nice work on the bright patch.I'll have to go back and pull out some detail.GregM

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:59 am

Hi
I'm starting to get my head around how this forum is organised and are no longer feeling bewildered.
I more or less did most of the tone processing in Lightroom and photoshop before applying the CM filter.
CM was used to slightly increase contrast and increase saturation.
I applied the neutral pin on the dust on the top of the bottom back forks. Thick dust is normally gray(except when it's red). This and the increase in saturation made the back wall too yellow which I removed by modifying the b channel curve.
This adjustment made those reflective lids and hoses near the door very cyan-greenish which I couls not remove in CM. I tried a mask but none were suitable for isolating the areas I wanted to adjust.
Getting the saturation to where the bike looked 100% caused the red roller door to look ridiculous so I had to back it off.
I removed this cyan-green in Lightroom. I adjusted it's luminance, saturation and tweaked the hue so that it is not objectionable.

I think I've sorted out my interface problem. (Read the manual).
But I could not find a reference to saving masks back to a PS layer.

Dennis.
Attachments
index-edit-jpg
index-edit-jpg (273.78 KiB) Viewed 8601 times

Return to “Curvemeister 101 June 2009”