JoAnn's Sun Moon Lake

This is the Class board for the Curvemeister 101 class.
joann

Postby joann » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:55 pm

I hope I did justice to this beautiful photo. I have done it so many ways I don't know what's correct. I'd like to see the solution to this.
JoAnn H
Attachments
2007-11-22_074102-jpg-lab-acv
(999 Bytes) Not downloaded yet
screencapturesunmoonlake-jpg
screencapturesunmoonlake-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 6481 times
sunmoonfixed-jpg
sunmoonfixed-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 6481 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:05 pm

Joann,

I will say this...your version is as good or better than most others...there are some specific issues that I will address in a while, not enough time this minute......I just wanted you to know that you did a great job getting some color back into this difficult image...The red net is one of the things I look for...

The difficulty is in the subjectivity...What is the right color..you could not have any way knowing...your feeling plays a big part of what you think is right for this image...

Greg

joann

Postby joann » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:30 pm

Yea! It's exciting when something turns out pretty good. I was looking at the net too. And put the neutral on the boat. When you get time let me know whether or not that was correct.
Thanks,
JoAnn H

Joann,

I will say this...your version is as good or better than most others...there are some specific issues that I will address in a while, not enough time this minute......I just wanted you to know that you did a great job getting some color back into this difficult image...The red net is one of the things I look for...

The difficulty is in the subjectivity...What is the right color..you could not have any way knowing...your feeling plays a big part of what you think is right for this image...

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:10 pm

Joann,
Try this ACV file..It is yours with a adjustment tot he extreme shadows and extreme highlights....The brightest highlights need help and the temple on the hill is AWOL....

I really like this correction overall you did a fine job...Usually I tell people to place the neutral in the center back near the shoreline.  But the boat works well...In fact the color hold up quite well...

Great job overall...
Attachments
2007-11-22_074102-jpg-lab_gg-acv
(102 Bytes) Downloaded 433 times

joann

Postby joann » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:10 am

Greg, You are very, very good...Lovely photo.
I repeatedly tried to copy your curve. How do you control the curve without it flying out of control. I put control points in and the curve would take a steep spike and the colors would go all goofy. I made the curve panel very large and still didn't have as much control as I would like. Does a Wacom help with this?
JoAnn H

Joann,
Try this ACV file..It is yours with a adjustment tot he extreme shadows and extreme highlights....The brightest highlights need help and the temple on the hill is AWOL....

I really like this correction overall you did a fine job...Usually I tell people to place the neutral in the center back near the shoreline.  But the boat works well...In fact the color hold up quite well...

Great job overall...

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:07 am

Oh my curves fly around a bit...don't even think that it was magic....It is a give and take...I make small moves very carefully in these areas of the curve. I use the arrow keys... 1 bump at a time.  For me control points happen most often after the fact.  I add them to restore order not to enforce it...

The Wacom Tablet is not one of my tools.. I have seen them and been tempted...but most of my "re-touching" is on small blemishes and minor things....

I think that knowing the curve can fly out like that helps...It is not a mistake it is the programs way of trying to make all the points fit onto the curve you are trying to write.  If your curve turned red as well that is a sign...It is curve guard telling you that the curve is unreal. 

Some other things to consider...when you are moving a point horizontally and the curve guard comes on, your next move has to be vertical,  otherwise you will not be able to keep the curve real.  The opposite would also apply, if you are moving vertically and you hit the red line...you have to move horizontally.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 101 September 2009”