cloud back up

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:04 am

Hi
I am now ready to pay for good cloud back up but completely overwhelmed by web searches

Yesterday a glass paperweight on my desk caused papers underneath it to start smoking when the sun shone through the window
On further inspection this had happened on other occasions as papers at the bottom of the pile were also charred.
This is the room with my computer and back up in it!!!
I am very lucky my house has not burnt down.

Does anyone have recommendations for cloud storage
I do not care about sharing photos
I would really like my organisation done in bridge to remain intact (keywords, descriptions etc)
Also want to be able to upload and download large files

Any suggestions gratefully received and check whats on your desk if there is a nearby window

Julie 

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:08 am

WOW...
Glad everything is safe...and your pictures as well...

I have no "cloud" solution, just solid weekly backups to a pair of Stand alone USB drives...
Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:21 pm

I use Google Drive cloud storage, and back-up my finished images to it. Under "computer", it looks like just another drive, and it's very easy to use.  Backing up to external USB hard drives is a good idea, which I do as well, although a friend of mine pointed out that in the event of one's house burning down, the hard drives would probably not survive (that sent me to Google Drive.)

Art

Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:32 am

I'm a firm believer in handling backup on my own USB hard drive...no muss, no fuss, always handy, no monthly charges, no security worries, no reliance on www even tho reliability is good these days
I actually use a second hard drive installed in PC and use "second copy" for years to auto backup important stuff from HD#1 (main C:/) to HD#2 (J:/) daily and backup to USB drive quarterly.....C:/ image (MS backup) and data from J:/  (drag and drop)
Doug

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:57 am

thanks for the answers

I already back up on a daily basis to an external hard drive and occasionally to one I keep at work
My concern is that the back up is in the same physical location as my computer.
Anything that happens might happen to both of them.
I'll keep looking and post if I find anything I think is great

its good to be able to post a question and get friendly responses

thankyou
Julie

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:21 pm

I have a fire rated safe I store my drive in...not perfect but then again nothing is...

Greg

Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:31 pm

For really serious safe keeping, store in bank safety deposit box.

tmanley

Postby tmanley » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:01 pm

I tried BackBlaze and it worked fine; however, after a couple of weeks up uploading my photos to the cloud, my ISP informed me that I was using way too much bandwidth and they were going to drastically increase my subscription fees if I didn't stop.  Better ask your ISP before you start  uploading to the cloud!

Tina

Return to “Interesting Images”