Removing camera motion blur

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:31 pm

I'm working on some very old images and some have the dreaded camera motion blur.  Does anyone know of a software solution to removing it?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Try FocusMagic - you can have a trial run
Zog

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:27 am

I'll 2nd The Mighty Zog. I've used Focus Magic for many years. I've used it mostly for regular sharpening, but I've certainly used it for motion blur too. It sharpens better than anything in Photoshop for regular sharpening.

For motion blur sharpening it works very well, up to a point. That point for me seems to be about 7 pixels. Anything more than that and it starts to look screwy. There is too much motion that loses too much data. Under 7 it fixes well enough to pretty much not be noticable. Well, under 4 is best.

You also get to adjust the angle of the blur. The amount and angle seem to take some trial and error to get it to its best.

I recommend it, but don't expect big miracles. Little miracles, yes.

Clyde

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:44 am

Thank you both.  I tried it on a picture w/about 7 pixels blur and it made a big difference.  Some problems because of differential movement in various parts of the picture - a moving camera, a moving bus and probably moving people hanging off the back of it. But still I'm very pleased.  Haven't tried it for sharpening yet but I'm sure I will.

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:35 am

Zog introduced me to FM some time ago and thanks again to him. I fully agree with Clyde. What I also found is when using a cheaper lens like the Sigma 170-500, the images tend to be soft. After treatment with FM (lens blur) you nearly get the same quality as with a  Canon L lens.  My standard editing in PS is to start with FM and then cropping, spot removal, dodge and burn etc then Curvemeister and the last step is sharpening. (Generally)
You have two options, lens blur and motion blur. Make sure which one is the culprit.

Return to “Interesting Images”