Crop Image > Adjust or Adjust > Crop Image

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:15 pm

What is the proper procedure when a image is to be heavily cropped. Adjust first, then crop or crop to size then adjust. I have not been able to find any procedure in any of the Photoshop manuals I have. My personal feeling is to crop first then adjust. If I don't crop first the shadows and highlights I used may no longer be part of the image. But then I may be changing the remaining image to new shadow and highlight settings.
Thanks Joe S

RonBoyd

Postby RonBoyd » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:37 pm

Joe,

Your instincts are correct. You should crop first and then make the adjustment. Nevertjeless this should not be a hard and fast rule as there will be many exceptions. Recognizing that Cropping is a destructive manuever you will always want to make certain adjustments prior to any other maneuvor; the main one being any initial sharpening -- such as "capture" sharpening. Another exception that may be made is when you are uprezzing by a large amount.

Now, having said all that, the "proof of the pudding," as it were, will be in the final product. Try all combinations and decide for yourself which one is preferable. (Do not examine the image at greater than 100%, however.) Then after you choose the best workflow, make that the hard and fast rule.

Ron

Return to “Interesting Images”