Tracker links in the CM newsletter

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Wed May 14, 2008 5:31 pm

I just received my copy of the May08 CM newsletter. A fine idea! But I noticed the links in it go through custom links at t.ymlp39.com, and are therefore trackable. CM tracking me is not really a big deal, but online privacy is something of a bug bear for me. Are users of the newletter being tracked?

Postby -default » Sat May 17, 2008 10:45 am

Yes, I use this to see how many people receive the newsletter and click on the links.  I assure you that no one is looking at this information except myself.  If it's a problem I can discontinue it.

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Mon May 19, 2008 7:05 am

If it's a problem I can discontinue it.

Don't discontinue on my behalf! I'm happy to help the CM project is any way I can, including having my surfing habits tracked. You can consider me opted in. :)

It's a bit of a shame there are so many sly operators out there doing all sorts of tricks to find out who is doing what so they can be turned into customers at the expense of personal privacy. You might have heard about the Phorm project, currently causing problems here in the UK? Tracker links in opted in emails are hardly the same level of problem, but as I said, bit of a bug bear of mine. Don't get me started... :)

Postby -default » Mon May 19, 2008 7:31 am

Derek, your point is well-taken.  If I continue to use the tracking, I'll at least include a warning in the next newsletter.

Return to “Interesting Images”